Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Adjusting...

Recently my husband and I found out that our son, who is just over a year old, has anaphylaxis to peanuts.
It has been such a roller coaster as we've perged all peanut products and anything that had traces from our house completely. Some days are easier than others...I definately feel more comfortable sticking around home than going to others houses or public places even.

I never understood "peanut allergies" completely...until we were put in this position. I didn't get it. But now that my sons life can be harmed with the smallest trace really scares me. And it concerns me when we go places, read the ingredients and see "traces of peanuts" or "peanut butter" and so on.

I understand that it is our job as parents to watch all food that enters our children's mouths at this age, but what scares me most is if someone else gives him food, or other children when I'm not around.
I love my friends and family dearly, but I ALWAYS read labels, even if they say there are no traces or peanuts. One can never be too safe, especially when it comes to the life of your child.

We now make the vast majority of our food from scratch (bread, pizza dough and sauces, and so on). That's the only way we can be certain it's nut free.

My dream is that more people will come to understand the seriousness of Anaphylaxis and know that you really can't test or push those boundries. But again, I still could be dreaming...but I have hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment